Holy Family Basilica Catholic Women Association
By CWA, Holy Family Basilica
CWA is an association of Catholic lay women mandated to empower Catholic Women spiritually, morally, socially and economically for the purposes of evangelizing families and society at large. The services provided help in promoting strong faith, commitment, teamwork, humility, respect, diligence, hard work and accountability. Its main purpose/mission is to empower Association members spiritually in order to strengthen their faith, evangelize to families and society at large.
CWA was founded in 1980 during the visit of Pope John Paul II to Kenya under the guidance of the late Servant of God Maurice Michael Cardinal Otunga who was the Ordinary of the Archdiocese of Nairobi by then.
NB. Holy Family Basilica CWA was started in 1986.
A priest in the Lay Apostolate office Rev. Fr. David Kamau who is currently the Auxiliary Bishop of Nairobi, was appointed by the Ordinary of the Diocese to guide the women after the visit. This marked the beginning of the CWA in the Archdiocese of Nairobi.
Catholic Women Association is affiliated to National Council of Catholic Women.
The CWA in the Archdiocese of Nairobi current membership is approximately 20,000 members in nearly 200 parishes, 14 deaneries and a chaplaincy (Prisons).
CWA actively participates in different activities at all levels of the Catholic Church, such as Small Christian Communities, outstations, and parishes in the central deanery.
CWA also participates in evangelization at all levels including:
- The first Christian Church i.e. the family
- Sharing the Word of God in all its meetings/gatherings
- Retreats and seminars
- Helping the sick and needy
- All church groups
Mission, Vision & Objectives
Seeking to bear witness to Christ and committed to holistic development of Catholic women and families in the Archdioceses of Nairobi
To empower women and mothers in the Archdiocese of Nairobi spiritually in order to strengthen their faith, evangelize to families and society at large.
Strong in faith.
Monica who is a model wife, mother, and Saint.
The objectives for which the association is formed are evangelical and in conformity with the Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB), Vatican II teachings and according to the Canon Law (Can.300/312).
- To work with the Church Leadership in Apostolic work.
- To assist and promote the active participation of members in evangelization,
- To promote socio-economic well-being of members
- To promote the doctrine of Catholic Church.
- To bring Catholic women together so that they can effectively participate in the general development of their church and community (Canon 301 paragraphs 1, 2, 3, Canon 304 paragraphs 1 and 2).
- To ensure pastoral development in the church
- Ensure that the Association is financially stable and sustainable projects are run effectively
- Develop capacities for the members to fully help in implementation of the Plan of the Association
- Plan, implement and evaluate sustainable development projects to help the Association economically
- Ensure gender empowerment for confidence building of CWA members
Nurturing and strengthening faith among Catholic women
The following are the CWA core values:
CWA is anchored on the following pillars
- Grounded in Catholic Faith
- Members United in purpose
- Visionary Leadership
Target Group /Requirements for joining the group
Open to Catholic women (one who practices the Catholic faith and is baptized in Catholic Church) who have attained the age of 18 years.
Benefits of joining the group
- Opportunity to mature in faith and morals
- In case of sickness, bereavement, wedding, a member is supported from the groups’ kitty, we pray for one another, encourage each other.
How does one sign up
CWA in Holy Family Basilica meets every second Sunday of the month at 11.30am. Any new member is welcomed and becomes a full member after formation.